This is by no means applicable to everyone, but for those with questions in regards to the Peace Corps application process, this is my timeline:
January 1, 2017
- Application submitted
January 6, 2017:
- Submitted Health History Form a few days later (there were some tech difficulties with the Medical Portal when I submitted my actual application); also completed the soft skills questionnaire, and selected my service preferences (SAMOA!)
February 1, 2017:
- Notified that I was “Placed under consideration” for Samoa
March 4, 2017:
- Contacted by a placement specialist to schedule an interview
March 8, 2017:
- Peace Corps reached out to my two references who I included in my application.
March 23, 2017:
- Interview day! I was a basket case because we had to reschedule, if anything that extra time made me more determined. My only advice would be to prepare, prepare, prepare! You can find the question bank that they pull from, so prepare an answer for each one and be yourself!
April 5, 2017:
- RECEIVED MY INVITATION TO SERVE!
Remainder of April 2017:
- Completed A LOT of paperwork for my legal and medical clearances and submitted all by the end of the month.
*** INTERLUDE ***
This was a very anxious time. I felt like I was in limbo and interviewed for a few other jobs as backups. Big thanks to my mom for dealing with me! Ha!
August 22, 2017:
- Granted Legal Clearance (FINALLY! SOME NEWS!)
August 25, 2017:
- I was contacted and was able to book my ticket to Staging
September 2, 2017:
- After a lot of back and forth –and a dental crown– with the nurse reviewing my case, I was granted Medical Clearance.
September 29, 2017:
- An eternity and a handful of packing meltdowns later, I was finally on my way to Houston for Staging!
October 1, 2017:
- Departed Houston bound for Samoa 🇼🇸